Thursday, September 23, 2004

revelation, kinda.

i decided this morning that i need to get over myself.
i was processing though a conversation i recently had with a friend. we talked about depression a little. and he said something like, when i am focused on myself and my situation, that is when i get depressed. hum…yeah, i know that.
i think i'm trying to make my life a drama. so i'm going to TRY to stop that. and TRY to be thankful and content with what is thrown my way. because seriously, when i'm thinking about other stuff in my world that is outside of myself, i'm not sad. maybe sometimes, a little overwhelmed, but… it's when i allow myself to focus on me and my situation that i feel like crap. now, there is a time and a place to think through your situation/circumstances. but NOT focus/dwell on it. i guess?

i tried to explain to a friend about what is going through my head about job stuff... and then i just thought, i don't even want to work, i just want someone take care of me. which is not reality for many different reasons. but then my train of thought went to marriage, i can't even imagine meeting someone who i would want to spend the rest of my life with. it doesn't even seem possible. which makes me feel sad. and this morning while driving to work i just thought, this is ridiculous erin, focusing on this will get you no where. so STOP!

life is a learning process. ups and downs. ups and downs. being gentle with yourself, being harsh with yourself. trying to figure out which self-talk works best for you. what motivates you. i keep coming back to the fact that i need nothing more than the Lord. He is my all. yet, i try and try to put other things in there to make me happy. and i’m surprised when it only makes me miserable.

2 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Erin its Erik. Well I can't sleep and stumbled upon your blog, I have the perfect remedy. Go out and purchase the U2 7 album sold at target stores. Go home put the CD in a music playing device and put track 7 on repeat for about 2 to 3 hours. After that I promise you will not remember what was bothering you before you played that song. Of course I can't tell you what that song is, I will let it be a surprise. If you want I can let you borrow my copy if you don't want to buy it.

e

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger allan said...

Mmmmmmm.....I hear you Erin. Today I got a phone call from one of my best buds. We went to school together. I saw him go from dating, (sorry "courting"- to appease your super sensitive joshuaharrischristian ears) engagement, marriage and today he called to tell me he and his wife are having their first baby! Damn happy for him...Mmmmmm... life seems to slide right along for some and I am tempted to think perhaps I got in the wrong line in the grocery store of life. Or I feel like the guy who can't get the self-check out right and the store assistant doesn't seem to be bothered to help. "Remove item from bagging area" X20 I just can't get it right.
HE really is there to help. Everyday I wake up and ask Jesus to walk through the day with me and I feel Him, He does and if in each day I believe I am following Him as best I can...I must believe His plan is different for me, He has something for me I just don't get right now. And apparently He walked on water, and I can't do that yet...believe me I've tried, so I'll go with trusting Him rather than me. This is harder for me then I could possibly explain. You're right "He is our all in all" no matter how we feel about life.
p.s. and I like your idea of getting over ourselves. Amen to that. You should encourage this line of thought with t-shirts that say "I’m just not into me."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home