Monday, October 25, 2004

confidence

first impressions.
i've been told many times over "i was intimidated by you." or "i thought you didn't like me." or "i thought you were a jerk." "i thought you were just too beautiful." "i thought you were way too smart to be my friend." things of this nature. (italics aren't real comments, obviously.) i can't imagine how this could be. how could someone who feels so insecure come across as so confident? do i overcompensate?
yesterday, while sitting at the game... Brown Eyed Girl came over the loudspeaker. i looked to mary and proudly proclaimed that it was my song. written for me, of course, cause i'm a brown eyed girl. i thought that this comment was obviously a joke. van morrison doesn't know me and i'm pretty sure he wrote the song about someone else. mary says something like this... i think you are the most confident girl i know.
really?
yes, really!

i don't understand.
i need some suggestions.
i don't want to be the unapproachable girl.
it doesn't seem like there is much else to say about this. if i start joking... confident, arrogant girl comes to surface. if i'm real... that's too scary.

4 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I don't get the flat-out "you're intimidating" comment, I admit, but I DO get the "you're simply unapproachable." What are such folks to do? Ya got me. Wish I had some good words here. Actually, I do:

"So I hit the east side of the LBC, on a mission trying to find Mr. Warren G."

Mmm mmm, Jr. High.

-pma

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Mary said...

i tried this earlier this morning, but a virus hit my computer, so the IT guys had to perform a little "search and destory" mission all afternoon, preventing my immediate response. let's try this again ...

first, a little clarification ... i do know your "this song is my song, this song's not your song, from the brown-eyed-girl-ness to the making-love-in-the-green-grasses" comment was not intended to demonstrate some false show of confidence. i think, erin, there's an actual LOOK that you give once you make some funny, bold-ish comment (i'm trying to make the face now as i sit in front of the computer, but alas, no one can see my attempts). it's kind of this look that says both, "yeah, i'm awesome. you know it" and also, "you think i'm funny, right? clever? please?" it's a mixture of both confidence and vulnerability that makes for, at first, perhaps, an uncertainty as to which one you really are. it's rare that i think you find that combination in one person. you're unique - like kat's cute and i'm smart :)

really, e, you're not truly unapproachable at all. but when people know that you're just too beautiful and way too smart to befriend them, well, panic, i guess.

the truth is i like the real you. it's not scary at all - vulernable, precious, hilarious, ridiculously good looking, thoughtful, loyal, fun, oooh, i could go on and on. so go ahead, be your confident-vulnerable self. i am loving it.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger catherine said...

of course van morrison didn't write that song about you, erin. he wrote it about ME!

um... just kidding.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger erin said...

cat. the best part about the fact that this song was written about both you and me, is that it was recorded in 1967, years before either of us were born. i mean, we are special.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home