Friday, June 17, 2005

being comfortable

tonight i realized something about myself. i feel comfortable making others feel uncomfortable. i'm sure that sounds awful, but hear me out. i like to talk about poop and the like because it is not "socially acceptable." i think i do it to protect myself from uncomfortable situations. if i make the uncomfortable comfortable, then i feel comfortable. maybe that is strange. but i think this is quite an amazing insight into myself. i like to point out gross things about myself (that others would not) because then it's out in the open, everyone knows i'm gross, and i don't have to act like it's not true.
i just watched the movie hitch. and now i'm analyzing myself in terms of dating. now this is a scary subject (and potentially funny).
if i can make myself feel normal in the midst of all my idiosyncrasies then i can breathe. but then the other is completely turned off. i need help.
i'm thinking of several specific instances. there was the time when i made sure to point out what i thought was ring worm on my arm to a guy. or the time that i specifically pointed out that i drooled on myself. i know that these things are not attractive. Ahhh! (i need to point out that in both of these situations i was not neccesarliy trying to pick these guys up, but still the principle remains. gosh, if i'm attracted to someone that is a whole different erin to analyze.)
i don't think i'm as gross as i make myself out to be. and i'm certainly not any grosser than the next. i just, for some reason, feel comfortable making others feel uncomfortable by presenting myself as some nasty girl who is really comfortable with her nastiness.
analyze that.

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Mary said...

i think you're right on the money, erin. and that's one of the things i love most about you. i like the way you act gross. when we're in a group and you say/do any of that, i love to watch the reactions of friends.

if they get grossed out, then i know we're not meant to be friends. if they laugh and show their own grossness, i think of the white stripes and hum a little of "i can tell that we are gonna be friends."

actually, what i'm trying to say could best be summed up by a similar quote from wayne campbell:

"I say hurl. If you blow chunks and she comes back, she's yours. If you spew and she bolts, then it was never meant to be."

so true. SO true.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i just say i do the same thing! I never was able to put into words why i like to gross other people out, etc. Hmmm, this is nice to ponder. Thank you my poop-lovin' friend
kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home