Saturday, April 23, 2005

one thing that makes me smile

It happens a lot.
We (people) assume that everyone standing around us (even when we don't know them) is like us. Then we proceed to make a statement that may or may not be offensive to the people that we may or may not know.
The perfect example... I’ll only give one but several are flying through my mind. This one is not super offensive but someone said it to me the other day...I'm standing in this woman’s living room and her new foster children had just put on fake tattoos. She talks to the children about how they are more like daddy now. She laughs and then said to me, "Yeah, my husband in his younger, stupider days, thought it was cool to get tattoos. So he has a couple."
I laugh and think, she has no idea whether or not I have tattoos. I figured this was a non-issue and I wasn't hurt by it at all, so I let it slide. Other times I feel it necessary to warn my fellow person that they should be aware of their words and who their words might negatively affect.
I guess, since I’m talking, I should go ahead and get on my platform for a sec. The major one I feel we should be aware of is the topic of sexuality (making comments about homosexuality or purity). I’ve heard people say mean things about people who are not virgins or people who are gay. You just never know what those people around you are dealing with.
So let us just be nice.
Let us love one another fully.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Blogger allan said...

I like your title..."one thing that makes me smile."
Erin you make me smile. That's all I wanted to say. Hope your day got better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home