Friday, August 12, 2005

conversations in the car

i've found, after several years of youth ministry and a few months of case management, that car rides are really good for conversations. the kids can't get away from you... (insert evil laugh). but seriously, i think they like the car rides too. one on one time. often times i'm surprised that the kid will initiate a fairly deep conversation or ask questions pressing on their minds/hearts. it's one of the coolest thing about working with this age group. It’s amazing how you spend a little time with them and show that you care and a substantial amount of trust builds up.

today i spent several hours with an 11 year old boy.
we actually had some good conversations (or should i say, he asked me some good questions and i struggled to know how to answer them in order to tell him just enough but not too much). the first thing he asked me during our car ride was something to the effect of, If you had your own kids would you let them take meds? (you could say, i wasn’t expecting that one.)

one sorta funny little convo...

Chris: I wish I had a million dollars.
Erin: What would you do with a million dollars?
Chris: I would probably give a lot of it away.
Erin: That's pretty cool. Would you give me any?
Chris: Yeah. (thinking deeply) as my caseworker (still thinking) i'd give you about $200.
Erin: Well, thanks.
Chris: That way you could get cable.
Erin: (laughing) You remember that I don't have cable?
Chris: Yes I remember. I have comcast digital cable and it’s really cool.


Also, a big CONGRATS to my momma. She completed her Master's Degree tonight. (and i must say her final presentation was spectacular). Way to go little lady!

1 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger allan said...

Thats a good convo. I hope Chris does get a million dollars and you get cable. Than I can come over and watch cable.
Happy B/Day E-Rock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home