Friday, January 14, 2005

passions

where do our passions come from? why are they so strong? what spurs us on to action? why does our heart ache about some things and not others? these are questions i found myself asking today.
i just completed my first week of DCFS foundations training. most of it is basically social work 101 but nonetheless good reminders of some of the stuff that we will be facing as child welfare workers and of course there is always new information to learn.
today i watched a video about developmentally delayed adults, questioning their ability to parent children. i found myself, with each new case presented, struggling to hold back an attack of tears (and the people on the video weren't even crying). the other day i almost lost it (you know, the big lump in the throat) when we watched a video about what it is like to be a child in the system, from a child's perspective. but yesterday we watched a video about victims of domestic violence and although i felt sick to my stomach for these women, there was not an emotional response on my end. what is it that makes me respond differently to these different injustices? i mean i didn't notice anyone else crying today, but yesterday yes.
part of me feels really glad that we are all here on earth with different passions and different issues that get us going, but i'm still questioning what causes that. what is it that makes me feel strongly about health care and education but not about abortion or gay marriage? i guess it might kill a person to feel and act passionately about every issue. what is my role?

i am very excited about being a social worker. this field is exactly where my heart is. although i am anticipating some extremely difficult situations. emotionally, ethically, spiritually.
my newest prayer for myself is that i will truly be able to be empathic and understanding with each person that comes into my life (in and out of work). that God will grant me incredible patience and love with both victims and abusers. every race, each gender. i know that He can and will use me in this job.

in other news. it is frickin' cold!! i'm gonna go wrap up in a blanket and relax before i go to the church for a night of chillin' with the high school kids. lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home