Thursday, August 18, 2005

I got this in an email and thought it was worth passing along:
Kindness is a fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5. It is a natural byproduct of a person living within the Spirit of God. Loving God results in our loving others and showing kindness toward everyone. William Penn left us this classic prayer:

"If there is any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not deter or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."

And Mother Teresa gave us this assessment of hurting people:

"Hungry not only for bread, but hungry for love.
Naked not only for clothing, but naked for human dignity and respect.
Homeless not only for want of a room of bricks, but homeless because of rejection."


Jesus invited everyone to his side. He associated with hurting people. He showed compassion especially to the needy. He expects his followers to follow his example.

Other thoughts:
Last night I recognized two of the erins within me, battling against each other. My buddy took me out for coffee to a sweet place with a cool open mic set. But I suppose that is beside the point. I was standing in line for the drinks when it hit me. One of the erins has pretty high cleanliness standards. The other erin is more of a hippy character who could care less about germs. I wanted to turn my head and not care when the guy behind the counter (who was rolling silverware) stopped to scratch his head with both hands for about a minute. But the other part of me was really sicked out by his lack of cleanliness standards.
All I’m saying is that I need to be hitting up more open mic nights.

4 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Mary said...

where'd you go for open mic? sounds neat-o.

i like that you are two erins. that's healthy and good. the more, the merrier :)

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger erin said...

Filter on Milwaukee

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I read your blog (and many others) regularly but I am usually pretty scarce on comments, but I sympathized with your inner battle..

One day, at the restaurant I manage, this guy dropped his paper cup on the floor and picked it up immediately. I mean, literally, it barely touched the floor when he grabbed it. He shrugged and said he didn't want another one, and the lady in line behind him was so grossed out it was comical (I was at the register, witnessing the whole thing). She was like, (valley girl voice) "OH, my GOD, that is SO gross," and on and on.

By nature of my job, I have to make sure things are extra sanitary and clean, but in my real life, I would totally use that cup. I mean, why do kids have all these funky allergies in the last 15 years? Because their wealthy, overprotective, germ-freak parents are shielding them from germs with air sanitizer and clorox wipes. It's crazy!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Mary said...

preach it, sista!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home